Sunday, May 2, 2010

Group Member Section

I learned a lot about what it was like for him to live during the war. I had a lot of fun interviewing my grandfather and I got to learn about how he had to live and how the war affected his life. From his father dying in the air raids to him having to carry gas masks everywhere he went. I also learned that he even had limited food supplies. Capturing oral history is important because it is the first hand experiences of the people that lived during that time. While written history may vary, oral history is the personal history of who you are interviewing. Oral history is also way more personal and allows you to understand how it must have felt to live during a particular period of time.
Sara
Opinion
I learned about what it was like to live in Coventry during German air raids and the different lifestyles that people had to undertake. I learned how he had to hide in his shelter. I also learned what precautions he took to make sure they would not be harmed. I think it is important to capture oral history because it is the only way to remember what really happened. If we don’t record what happens in history then we might be prone to repeating it.
Andres

Opinion
I learned the tragedy that he had to live through when his father died. I also learned that it must have been somewhat traumatizing to go have to be wearing a gas mask always in fear that at any given moment you would have to quickly put it on. I also learned about the food rationing in major cities. I think it is important to capture oral history because I think that the tone of voice in which someone says something describes a lot about how they felt during that time. In total I think we should learn about our past mistakes and never let them happen again.
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment